Sunday, January 31, 2010

I decided to share because of some of the stories I read from people that have been through the same thing.
I was lucky and feel like I need to share.

These pics I have not let anyone look at.


I started taking Lamictial 3 weeks prior to my "break out" I got really sick about a week before I was hospitalized in July last year. It started like the Flu. I went home from work sick on July 20th and did not move from my couch for 2 days. Running a fever of 104 and not being able to bring it down. I went to the Doctor and he did some test and sent me home with strict orders to stay out of work until he knew what was going on or I got better. I told him I thought it was mumps because the last time I felt this bad was when I was a child and almost died.

I got much worse a few days later and my doctor could not get me in. I went to the ER and they told me it was the FLU most likely the Swine Flu and gave me Tamaflu and discharged me. When they were wheeling me out to my stepmothers car I passed out. I woke up to the wheeling me back into the emergency room and starting more tests. Once they determined I would "live" the sent me on my way. The next day I developed a terrible rash on my face and upper torso. I called my Doctor and let him know what was happening. This was on July 23rd. He brought in another doctor and they did not have a clue as to what was going on with me. (I have to say I love my doctor, he is a good family friend) They asked me to give them a little more time to figure this out and they would check with me again on Monday.

I went home with an over whelming feeling of dread. I KNEW something was not right. On the 24th of July, which is a holiday here, I had my husband take me to the hospital in Salt Lake City The University of Utah. Because a friend that is a nurse told me to stop messing around with small town hospitals and get my behind to a major hospital. I knew I needed to be seen at the University of Utah.

I asked my husband to call a friend and ask him to come and help give me a blessing. They did and we headed to the ER.

After a very long emergency room visit (in the hallway on a gurney) I was advised that I probably had Stevens Johnson Syndrome, however the test was expensive and painful, they did not do the test unless it was more severe and they wanted to try medication first. I was given steroids and if I remember correctly antibiotics. They sent me home and told me if the rash spread at all to come back immediately.

I got up early Sunday morning because I was in such discomfort I could not sleep. I did a lot of research on the dangers and the long-term effects of SJS and was very worried. When I got dressed I found my rash had spread. It covered my feet, entire face, my mouth, throat, pretty much my whole body except my legs below my knees (really weird I know) I woke my husband and asked him to take me back to the emergency room. He did and I was admitted within an hour. I was there for 5 days. I started in the burn unit and then move to a non-critical ICU, then to a regular hospital room. I was given Immunoglobulin product and replaces what is being damaged. I don't understand it all but I know it helped. Because of the cost they have to make sure you are improving or the insurance company will not pay for it if they continue the treatment. I was very lucky not to have been affected as bad as it could have been.

I was very blessed, it is usually much much worse. It has taken 6 months to get where I am today. I still get tired very easily but I have more energy than I did when I was first released. I have had no further breakouts and no side affects thus far. I do have to go in for a few tests this month to make sure but I do know things are better. I have a few skin issues but they are minimal.

The Lord intervened and spared me a lot of the trials, embarrassment and humiliation of this disease. I pray for all that are still struggling and dealing with the after affects. I am SO grateful I have a wonderful husband and friends that have the priesthood and can ask the lord to intervene in my behalf.


This was before I went to the ER at the U of U.



I did not take any more after this day. This was after visit one to the U of U.




http://www.sjsupport.org/index.shtml


No comments: